Thursday , April 3, 2025

Takeover Buzz Subsides As Ingenico Rejects a $1.9 Billion Bid

It’s all over but the shouting, at least for now. France’s Ingenico S.A., which sells point-of-sale terminals in North America and elsewhere around the world, on Sunday rejected a suitor that had offered $1.9 billion for the company. Bloomberg had reported on Friday that the suitor was Danaher Corp., Washington, D.C., a conglomerate that among other properties owns the Greensboro, N.C.-based Gilbarco Inc. petroleum-dispenser business. Ingenico rejected the bid because of concerns by the French government about its assets falling into the hands of a foreign company, according to press reports.

In a terse statement issued Sunday, Ingenico simply said the prospective acquirer, which it did not name, “has not been in a position to submit a binding offer that could be accepted by the [Ingenico] Board.” Reportedly, Danaher’s bid ran into interference from Safran S.A., a French electronics company that owns 22.5% of Ingenico. Some 30% of Safran’s equity, in turn, is owned by the French government. French officials have identified Ingenico as a “strategic” business, and likely put pressure on Safran to stymie the transaction, Reuters reported.

Ingenico said it had received a “non-binding” offer Dec. 14, though news of the prospective deal didn’t break until Friday. The possibility remains open that the board could be holding out for a higher bid, which could put Ingenico in play again at some future date. But it appears that offer would have to come from a domestic concern. “It’s possible indeed that the French government might intervene economically or simply use political pressures to avoid seeing a company like Ingenico being taken over by a foreign entity, it’s not an impossible scenario,” notes Gwenn Bezard, research director at Aite Group LLC, Boston-based payments researcher.

While Ingenico is a major producer of payment terminals around the world, its North American business accounts for only about 10% of the company’s revenues, or some $31 million in the third quarter, according to an Ingenico financial report. Even so, the offer for Ingenico comes at a time of consolidation among U.S terminal makers.

Only last month, VeriFone Systems Inc. and Hypercom Corp. came to terms on a $485 million all-stock deal under which VeriFone will acquire its archrival Hypercom, bolstering its position in both Europe and the U.S. Hypercom had earlier rejected a $283 million cash offer from VeriFone as too low. A spokesman for Atlanta-based Ingenico North America did not return a Digital Transactions News call for comment.

Check Also

The Clearing House’s ACH Volume Swells As Adoption of Digital Transactions Spreads

Transactions on the Electronic Payment Network, the automated clearing house network, operated by The Clearing …

Digital Transactions